DIY Compost Bins
DIY Compost Bins
There are numerous techniques to turn you compost into free fertilizer for your garden, Here are some popular DIY compost bins that are easy to make!
The Wooden Composting Bin
Aside from nuts bolts and washers what you’ll need is:
- 6 pieces of 2″ x 2″ wood, 39 inches long for uprights
- 24 pieces of 1″ x6″ wood, 48″ inches long for the sides
- 1 piece of 2″ x 2″ wood, 56″ inches for the crossbar
- Drive the uprights into the ground to 3 inches, 4 in the front to allow you to slide 1″ x 6″ into to permit access to the box
- The side boards should be bolted around 3 sides leaving 1/2 inch gap to allow air circulation
- the crossbar can be fastened to the top to prevent bulging
Mesh Composting Bins
This is my favorite and easiest way to make a compost bin!
What you will need:
- 13 feet of chicken wire or a wire mesh
- 3 stakes
- Heavy wire
- Bend the wire into a circle, overlapping the edges by at least 3 inches. This will give you a compost bin about 3 feet in diameter.
- Use pliers to attach the edges of the wire fence together with four heavy wire ties or chain snaps.
- Insert the stakes around the inside of the mesh so that it is tight
The simplest method for composting is to do it right in the soil. Basically just dig a hole and fill it with kitchen and garden trimmings. Its an excellent way to improve the soil in a new bed or garden if you can plan it out it advance, and you don’t have to worry about carbon or nitrogen balance. Just Dig it, fill it, cover it and in six months you will have rich fertile soil teeming with earthworms.
- Dig a series of trenches about 1 1/2 feet deep
- Fill with composting material
- Cover with soil
- After six months it is ready to go
There are hundreds of ways to make your own DIY compost bin, these are my personal favorites but if you have any suggestions please let me know and i’ll add them!